Thursday, August 22, 2013

Major cost cutting here

So my cousin got engaged yesterday and this is what I wore to the event. I love dressing up in ethnic wear and because there are only limited Indian events to attend in Bahrain, Whenever I am in India, I go all out when there's a festive occasion around the corner. But this time, I made sure I looked the part but cut down on the splurging.
More on what I'm wearing, I've purchased the top separately in a small local boutique in Bahrain and picked out fabric for the dupatta and pants and got them stitched. I used raw silk for the pants and tulle for the shawl and got these really cheap gold borders for the dupatta and attached it to make it a little more dressy. So while everyone else is splurging on wearing designer pieces for the engagement, Total cost of my outfit?

Kurti: BD 6 
Pants fabric plus stitching charges: BD 5.500
Dupatta fabric plus stitching charges: BD 2
Total cost: BD 13.500

Win? I think so!

On another note, I'm all about kundan jewelry at the moment. 






Pin It

14 comments:

  1. I think your get up is fab! But a wee bit of negativity, so sorry! I think since it is a short kurti, the dupatta should have been tight around your neck. Also, the sleeves of the Kurti seem oversized on you. Of course it is only what I think :) But I love the colours, your make up, the kundan delights and the hairdo. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always look good but yeah would have to agree with the person above about the sleeves and the dupatta. Although because of the neckline, you couldn't have carried it tight around your neck but it still had to put in a shorter way, if you get what I am saying. And also the bun would have looked better perhaps with a saree or something more extravagant. All in all, this was an okay look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look gorgeous. Your style is yours and the way you have saved all that money is great. Stylish and elegant. The hairdo is fantastic .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to see you in a sari!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im wearing a saree for the wedding this sunday :)

      Delete
  6. You look absolutely GORGEOUS!
    Can I please know what the name of the shop you purchased the Kurti and Dupatta fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ! The kurti is from this place in gudaibiya called city max. I chanced upon it when mom was picking saris
      And the dupatta is from jayalakshmi kerala. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, stunning. And beautiful colours!

    Come visit me at http://styleandbeautyforless.blogspot.co.uk/
    love your new bloglovin' follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hun wher did u stitch it frm? They r no gud tailors in bahrain. Can u suggest some. I hav a wedding to attend and I really need a tailor!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was stitched in india :( but I go to this tailor anwal al ghazal in gudaibiya behind universal food centre

      Delete
  9. You look pretty Ashwathy. The design of your outfit is fabulous and its just perfect on you. Dont mind the comments of the shoulders and neckline. If there was a picture of you raising your head so that your neck appear fully that will be excellent.
    Ghreeb84aldar

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm obviously not the only one who thinks you look amazing in Indian wear! Two thumbs up for this outfit.

    ReplyDelete