Unless its New Years where you can go super-dramatic, working with sequins for a night out on a normal day can make you look a little too overdressed. If you follow me on instagram (@askthestylecouncil) you would have seen the fully sequinned FCUK mini dress I wore two years back, which had a lot of hot pink accents. So how do you work with sequins on a regular night out with the girls? Here are a few pointers when working with heavily/ semi-heavily embellished dresses:
- Always pick something that isn't too sparkly. Sequins on the shoulders OR hemline OR a certain area of the dress.
- Fully sequinned tops are ok, provided you pair them with a plain skirt or pant- Avoid prints. Velvet would be okay too.
- Opt for darker colored shoes- black, navy or maroon. A bright color will only take away the attention from the dress.
- Try to match your clutch to the dress or color of the sequins as much as possible.
- Don't over-do your jewelry Small drop earrings and a chunky cuff will be OK Remember, If the sequins are flocked at the neckline, you don't want to wear a neck piece.
- Keep your makeup to a minimum- try to avoid screaming lip colors. nude lips is always classy. Smoky eyes are a safe bet.